Saturday, November 27, 2004

Considering Darkness and Light

Death and Family Life

I’ve posted a few emblems lately, but I’m back here in “voice” today.

The last week + was either one for the record books, or one to blot from my memory forever. Except that I know I’ll never forget it. As a maturing adult, I also know that I shouldn’t let myself forget a single moment of it, no matter how painful.

A brief, uncomfortable recap. My father, from whom I was unwillingly estranged, tragically fell asleep at the wheel of his car while driving near Elko, Nevada on Tuesday just over a week ago. His car flew off the road and he was killed instantly. Strangely, this was all witnessed by a State Trooper who was driving right behind him. Given the surrounding terrain, it seems implied that it might have been some time before the accident had been discovered, had there not been an eyewitness. There were disturbing and inconsequential details which I will omit here. They are the kinds of things that people can’t seem to restrain themselves from telling you, and that you will never forget. Keep that in mind if you ever have to bear bad news. Keep It Simple Stupid.

So I live with the irony of knowing more about my father’s split-second death than I know of his life during the past ten years. As I implied in previous blog entries, I had tried to reconcile with my father, but he had not received me. It’s a sad thing, but in the last week and a half, I have been comforted beyond measure by bloggers, strangers, friends and family. Perhaps most profoundly, I have been reassured by a sense of a very near, very real heavenly father who understands and loves both me and the man who forgot how to call me daughter. I have been reminded that in heaven, there is grace enough to cover misunderstandings. There is true reconciliation there.

4 Comments:

At November 28, 2004 at 1:04 PM, Blogger CowPi said...

You know that for every comment or email you may have received, there were another ten or twenty people who quietly prayed for you and your father.

May God's love, peace, and energy continue to touch you in faith.

 
At November 29, 2004 at 2:00 PM, Blogger K. Lyn Wurth said...

Thank you both so much. God is good, and is so often good to us through one another.

 
At November 30, 2004 at 10:30 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

My heart goes out to you and your family - what a tragic story. I've experience estrangement from my father as well, and only met him when I was 25. I'm 32 now and don't know him well at all, in spite of my efforts to make inroads. We are comfortable around each other, and enjoy one another's company, but it is difficult around his "other family". In any case, I am feeling compelled to keep trying to bind our ties a bit more. You seem to have a lovely family and a strong faith, but I know in times of pain these things don't always feel like the strengths they should - sometimes the pain seems to envelope everything. I'm glad you can write your way through this; it is will be both cleansing and healing. God bless.

 
At December 1, 2004 at 6:54 AM, Blogger ~pen~ said...

oh my, i am so sorry for your loss. i can relate to this on many different levels, but am being coerced into running my daughter to school...

please know i will say a prayer and light a candle for you this morning.

~peace~
penni

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Post for a New Day